Information & Assistance for Media Around the 2012 Games
With less than two weeks to go until the start
of the London 2012 Olympic Games, Britain’s national tourist board VisitBritain
has produced a wide number of guides and materials especially for media
covering the spectacle.
Useful for all media
Top 12s – Lists
of the Top 12 things to see and do in all the regions and main cities
throughout Britain, including all the places which are hosting some of the
London 2012 sporting competitions. The Top 12 lists cover the main attractions
and experiences around each venue, giving website and press contact information
Itineraries – A choice of one, two, three or four day itineraries for any
media contacts looking to explore or write about Britain’s many and varied
regions, from the graceful Cotswold’s countryside to the coast of Wales.
Faces of Britain - A guide to British spokespeople from all corners of the country
who are available for media interviews on what they love about Britain
International Faces of Britain - Britain is a diverse mix of cultures, this guide provides
contact details for people from a vast array of different countries that have
chosen to make Britain their home.
Media guides to GREAT Britain - A series of comprehensive guides for international
media on Britain's Countryside, Culture, Food, Heritage, Music, Shopping and
Sport. These guides have been produced especially for international media
seeking information on Britain. They contain copyright free story ideas, sample
features and images, as well as useful press contacts.
Team USA: Britain Bound – VisitBritain USA
teamed up with the U.S. Olympic Committee to send seven Olympic and Paralympic
Champions to explore the best of the host nation prior to the London 2012
Olympic and Paralympic Games. Fans can experience
the UK through the eyes of their favorite athletes as well as gain tips on
where to go and what to do on their next trip to Britain. A-roll and B-roll videos are available for media
Especially for Broadcasters
- An essential manual for any broadcasters
looking to film in Britain with information on everything from permits required
to the best locations to capture those iconic shots.
Short films & B roll
– a selection of high definition B-roll footage of dozens of destinations
around the UK, including all the towns and cities that are hosting the 2012
Games. Plus 35 short ready-scripted films which cover all the Games host cities
and other iconic destinations and which are available entirely free of charge
for use in your programming.
Especially for Media who are visiting Britain
and businesses throughout Britain and Northern Ireland have joined forces to
offer over 750 complimentary or heavily discounted offers for visiting media,
covering accommodation and dining to train travel and theatre tickets.
Media Tours & Events
– During the 2012 Games VisitBritain and its strategic partners in England,
Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland have organised over 50 events, day trips
or overnight tours to enable journalists to experience the very best of
Britain. This programme is offered completely free of charge to bona fide media
contacts at the relevant organising body’s discretion.
of these guides and information can be downloaded from VisitBritain’s online
media centre at www.visitbritain.com/media.
Media should also register on the London Media Centre www.londonmediacentre.org.uk
- a website specially created to provide digital assets and media
information on everything happening in London and around the UK in relation to
the 2012 Games.
For more information contact:
- VisitBritain, the national tourism agency, is responsible for inspiring the world to explore Britain and for developing the UK’s visitor economy.
- Americans made 2.8 million visits to Britain in 2012 and spent $3.7 billion USD (£2.4 billion). The US remains in the top spot in terms of market value for inbound tourism and is one of the top three most important markets in terms of visitor numbers.
- Visitors traveling to Britain can find out more information from visitbritain.us plus purchase money and time saving local transport, sightseeing, attraction, theatre and tour tickets from visitbritainshop.us
- Follow us on Twitter @VisitBritain, Pinterest (VisitBritain) and Facebook: LoveGREATbritain